Travelling is fun. But sometimes it can be a headache if you have to carry your huge bags around the place. Hiring a taxi to shuttle from airport, train station and hotels or for touring and sightseeing is a reliable and time saving option. Cab drivers provide a very useful service to visitors, employees and shoppers who want to get to their destination hurriedly.
But travelling in an unknown taxi can be risky, sometime even dangerous to people, especially single women travelers. Here are some tips to help you make your journey in a taxi a pleasant one.
· Before hailing a taxi, make sure it is not off duty. Many cabs have a sign on top with the cab number. The cab is available only when the light is lit.
· Never get into a cab which is already occupied. This may be a trap and can be very dangerous leading to kidnap or robbery.
· While hiring a taxi for short trips like night out or short trips, talk about the costs per kilometer or so before hand. This way there won’t be arguments and demands for more money later on.
· Hiring a taxi in the taxi stand is the best method. You can find these stands in many places of the city. These taxis will be reliable and safer.
· As soon as you get into the cab or even before, talk to the driver and tell him where you want to go. Explain your destination very clearly and then begin to rest. There are chances of misinterpretations and going to wrong places. This will just be a waste of money and time.
· Usually taxis will have meters that monitor time and mileage. If the taxi does not have one, talk about the prices beforehand. · If your trips are planned earlier, try to find cheap cab rentals through the internet. You will know about the rates and can compare them with other services. Some companies offer special discounts for online bookings.
· If the trip is short, avoid luxurious cars. There is no point in hiring a limo to reach your hotel from the airport.
· Hire a taxi according to the number of passengers. If you are a single traveler, hire a small car. If you are a group of 5 to 6 people, hire bigger SUVs.
· Preference should be given to professional chartered cab companies. Ask around and get feedback from other people who have been there and done that.
· Make sure that the taxi has its documents and licenses if you are going on a long trip. · Also find a taxi in good shape. Old and badly maintained cars can have flat tires or stop right in the middle of a jolly trip and spoil your exciting plans.
· If you are alone or travelling during the night, note down the taxi number and if possible the driver’s license number. Be alert and do not take a nap in the taxi no matter how tired you are.